1967 Westfalia Combi Bus Volkswagen











My 1967 model SO-42 Campmobile was undergoing the final phases of restoration in January 2001 when I discovered an unusual SO-44 Westfalia on eBay. I had never seen one of these Deluxe Campmobiles with an entirely different camping package than my SO-42. The SO-44 models were never offered in the U.S. by Volkswagen of America. Any SO-44 that found its way into the U.S. was privately exported from Europe. In the 1960's and 70's, it wasn't uncommon for a vacationing American family to arrange European delivery of a new Westfalia built to U.S. specs (bumpers, lighting, speedometer), then tour the Continent in their new Campmobile. At the end of the vacation, the European VW dealer arranged export to the U.S.

1500cc VW


But my SO-44 found its way to American shores through entirely different circumstances as you will discover. By January 2001, it was offered on eBay with a mere 46,000 original miles in almost new, unrestored condition. Knowing it would be several months before I would finish the restoration of my SO-42 camper, I jumped on the chance to own this mint and unusal SO-44. My eBay bid was successful, and just a few days later I flew to Oregon to take delivery of my SO-44 and drive it over 1,000 trouble-free miles to its new home in Los Angeles.



Because this SO-44 was ordered in Germany for export to the U.S., it was equipped with U.S. spec bumpers, speedo, and exterior lighting with the



The M-code plate behind the front passenger seat reveals the VIN number and factory installed equipment. The silver sticker below the M plate shows this Microbus was painted in Velvet Green and Pearl White. Note that most Westfalias were assembled from the basic Kombi bus rather than a higher level Microbus. My Westfalia may be a one-of-a-kind to fill the original owner's special order.












When shopping for a classic VW bus, always check the floors for rust. Moisture is typically trapped under the rubber floormat causing serious corrosion. It is quite unusual to find completely a rust-free floorboard like this. Obviously this Westy didn't see much wet weather!


Any classic car enthusiast knows that a 30+ year old vehicle with low original milegage must have an interesting story to explain why it was driven so little. My VW Campmobile is no exception. Here's the story, accompanied by photos detailing the unique camping package of the European-delivery SO-44. 













ShowHideComments